Did you ever notice how every food is now a “superfood”? Also most foods are now also detox foods. People need to slow their roll with putting food into categories.
Anyway, I know I owe you
about a million two travel recaps along with a ton of other stuff I want to share, but I haven’t had the chance to create a recipe for a couple weeks and this takes a lot less brain effort to write then something I have to go fact-check.
Nicaragua was amazing. I’ll recap fully soon, I promise. Of course the first place I made my dad stop after he picked me up from the airport (at 11 p.m.) was the grocery store to buy spinach. I had been feeling pretty gross my whole trip and couldn’t wait to start eating super clean again.
I just felt like I ate so much when I really didn’t. I was just eating differently than normal (trying to eat for energy – surfing is hard work!) and I start to feel weird when I’m not eating a ton of veggies and protein. After Tuesday, I made the exec decision I was no longer going to eat white rice… I don’t love it, my body doesn’t love it, I might as well spend the calories somewhere else and eat something satisfying.
Sunday morning, I woke up pretty hungry from not eating anything substantial on Saturday (the Managua and Houston airports both lack healthy options and plane food is probably just injected with sodium). I also knew I needed vegetables stat. I had a smoothie bowl at this cool raw foods cafe in San Juan del Sur and decided to just Cassie-fy it. I was a little cold after breakfast but I suddenly had a ton of energy and felt like myself again. Oh, and did I mention it was delicious?
Superfood Smoothie Bowl
- 2 huge handfuls spinach
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup ice
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder
- ¼ cup raw rolled oats
- ¼ avocado
- ½ banana
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp Purely Elizabeth Blueberry Hemp Granola
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- Put spinach, frozen strawberries, ice, coconut water, protein powder and oats. into your blender and blend until smooth. It should be a little thicker than a normal smoothie and not flow out of the container - you should have to use a spatula to get it all out.
- Put smoothie into a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients as toppings and try not to get a brain freeze as you dig in (this is coming from experience).
Chat with me:
What do you eat when you need to get back on track? Are you as obsessed with vegetables as I am?