I don’t even know what to call this thing. I mean basically at the end of the day it’s a bowl of deliciousness. And it looks really complicated because there are a bunch of ingredients but I promise it’s not. These are paleo (if you don’t add the beans) so yay, you haven’t seen a paleo recipe around here in forever because I love grains and dairy and only eat paleo if it’s an accident.
I meant to make beef barbacoa then forgot to buy beef at Whole Foods. Womp womp. I did for some reason buy chicken so I just switched up my plans. That’s the name of the game of my life lately, except I made these over a month ago when my plans were all still well-laid.
I wish I had more to say to give these bowls justice but I’m so tired from cooking/cleaning/preparing for my bestie Carly to get into town Wednesday night and have a nice 10 mile track workout to look forward to in the morning, so I’m just going to hope you take my word for this and make these. You won’t be disappointed.
Oh, pro tip for making yourself go do a track workout: park your car in a place where you’ll get towed if you don’t leave by 7 a.m.
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp garlic
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 ounces button cap mushrooms
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- ½ lb brussels sprouts, halved
- 3 plantains
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Cinnamon + salt, for sprinkling
- Salad greens
- Refried beans
- Green onions
- Sliced avocado
- Place all of the chicken ingredients in a crock pot and turn on low for 6 hours or until chicken easily shreds.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Slipats.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Chop vegetables, spray with coconut oil, and roast for 35-40 minutes until they begin to brown on lined baking sheet.
- While vegetables are cooking, slice plantains into disks.
- Place plantain disks in small bowl with melted coconut oil and mix until covered.
- Lay plantain disks in single layer on a lined baking sheet and sprinkle with cinnamon and salt.
- Place plantains in oven and roast for 40 minutes or until the tops begin to brown, flipping halfway through cooking.
- Place salad greens and cooked chicken in bottom of bowl. Top with vegetables, plantains, refried beans, green onions and sliced avocado.
Chat with me:
How do you deal with things when plans change? Are you good at adapting? What do you do to make yourself do early morning workouts you’re kind of dreading?