Trail Mix Oatmeal Muffins
I like having random snack muffins around to eat if I go to spin or yoga in the morning or to have post-long run. I really have to make an effort some days to make sure I’m eating enough carbs and not just eating protein and vegetables because I’m apt to do that. If I don’t, I get snacky and unsatisfied and it just doesn’t end well for anyone involved (me).
I don’t know why I was itching to make something involving trail mix. I’ve been constantly craving a crunch so trail mix seemed like a good idea to mix in. I like getting a random nut or raisin every other bite or so. Call it the element of surprise.
Don’t fear the avocado in the recipe – it makes these really light and fluffy. Since I used avocado in place of any oil, they are gluten free, oil free and sugar free. If you’re vegan, swap out the egg for a chia or flax egg.
You can eat these trail mx oatmeal muffins with yogurt for breakfast or top with some almond butter for the perfect afternoon snack.
- 1½ cup rolled oats separated into 1 cup and ½ cup
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ cup trail mix
- 1 ripe banana
- ¼ avocado
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil or line a muffin tin with cups. (I used silicon muffin cups sprayed with coconut oil.)
- Add all ingredients except ½ cup of oats and trail mix into high-powered blender or food processor and mix until a batter forms.
- Slowly mix in trail mix and remaining ½ cup oats with spatula.
- Pour into prepared muffin tins until they are ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tops brown and a toothpick nserted comes out clean.
- Store in fridge for up to one week.
Chat with me:
Do you have a go-to afternoon snack? I need new ideas!