Is it even tomato season anymore? Sorry, I’ve had this recipe sitting around since September and you know what… tomato soup and grilled cheese screams fall/winter to me. I was hardcore craving grilled cheese and tomato soup around this time (early September), probably due to stress. I seriously cannot wait to be settled into SF and stop being stressed and get my life back in order. I never got that grilled cheese, by the way. I think I made a dumb brown rice wrap with mozzarella. NOT THE SAME.
So if you’re a meal prepper, this is super easy to get going and kind of forget about while you do other stuff. It’s so nice to come home and have homemade soup in the refrigerator to just reheat. I also am a big believer that soup gets better with age, so it’s perfect to have for dinner all week.
This is super creamy, even though it’s vegan. I think it’s because you’re just slow roasting the tomatoes so they are super soft and falling apart by the time you blend everything together. Are tomatoes paleo? I don’t know. But if they are this paleo so I’m going with it. Also, this just so happens to be meatless so make this for dinner tonight… and head over to Tina’s blog to see even more Meatless Monday recipes!
- 10 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped.
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- ½ cup basil
- 2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- Boil large stock pot of water. Turn off heat and place tomatoes in for one minute.
- Carefully pour out hot water and run cool water over tomatoes.
- While tomatoes are cooling, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on medium low heat.
- Add garlic to stock pot and stir, cooking for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add chopped onion and stir, cooking for 5 minutes or until tomatoes become translucent.
- Once tomatoes are cool to the touch, peel off skins and cut off stems.
- Chop tomatoes into cubes and add to stock pot.
- Add water, basil and sea salt to stock pot and stir well.
- Cover, stirring occasionally and cook for two hours.
- Turn off heat and let soup cool.
- Carefully add soup to blender in batches and blend until smooth.
Chat with me:
What is your favorite comfort food? Do you start craving comfort foods and sugar when you’re stressed? Are tomatoes paleo?