I am a creature of routine and habit so it’s really easy for me to eat the same 10 things in a various rotation probably 75% of the time. Breakfast is usually oatmeal, a smoothie, or lately, yogurt with fruit and nut butter. Lunch is typically a salad. For dinner, I’ll eat grilled fish/chicken and veggies, a turkey wrap, or random things I find in the fridge.
For some reason one Sunday (because that is the only day I can switch up what I eat on a whim) I decided I needed Tex-Mex in my life so I made this breakfast quesadilla. Funny story, according to the notes on my computer, I made this recipe in July. Whoops. I also have a recipe from June that I have yet to post. And I ate two batches of a recipe before I even photographed it. I’m basically a failure as a blogger.
Anyway, I can’t wait to recap Ragnar tomorrow and Wednesday, but it’s Sunday night as I type this and I am exhausted so here is a breakfast quesadilla that you can make for dinner tonight. Or breakfast if you’re not like me and stuck at a desk.
- 1 brown rice tortilla
- 1 egg + ⅓ cup egg whites
- 1 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup spinach
- ½ cup grilled veggies (I used a mix of mushrooms, onions and peppers)
- 1 tsp roasted garlic
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- sea salt & pepper
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add ½ tsp coconut oil to skillet.
- Add garlic to skillet and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add grilled veggies, spinach, crushed red pepper flakes to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until warm, stirring occasionally. Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- While veggies are cooking, whisk together egg and egg whites in a small bowl.
- Remove veggies from heat and place on plate to the side.
- Add ½ tsp coconut oil to skillet, add egg mixture, and scramble with a plastic spatula to make fluffy.
- When eggs are cooked, move to plate with vegetables.
- Add brown rice tortilla to the skillet.
- Place cheese on tortilla.
- Once cheese begins melting, add vegetables and carefully fold tortilla over.
- Serve with salsa and avocado.
Chat with me:
Do you eat sad desk breakfast? What is your favorite type of Mexican food? (#MadMex4Life)