Chocolate Coconut Gluten Free Waffles
Fun fact: I’m alive! I know I’ve been off the grid, but if you follow me on Instagram or know me as a person you’ll know why. I traveled to Portland last week then as soon as I got back Monday morning, hit the ground running with life again (after a two hour nap because I was kind enough to give up my window seat for some little kid). I have a lot of fun posts coming up so stay tuned!
I’ve been thinking about making chocolate coconut gluten free waffles for a while now but until recently, waffle making intimidated me. I always forget to spray the waffle maker which is basically why they intimidated me. You don’t know fun until you’re scraping waffle off your waffle maker and feeling really frustrated about life. Davida also let me know that you should let the waffle sit in the maker for a minute after the light goes off, so that’s where that tip comes from.
(Note: if you want a bunch of amazing, delicious gluten free waffle recipes pre-order Davida’s e-cookbook, Gluten Free Breakfasts.)
I’m not a huge fan of maple syrup on pancakes so I topped these with almond butter, sliced bananas and Greek Yogurt – my go to. If you have some sort of chocolate or coconut syrup, that would probably be divine on these, too.
- 2 tbsp brown rice flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp peanut flour
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cocoa NuStevia
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup egg whites
- sprinkle of Himalyan pink sea salt
- pinch of lemon juice
- Begin pre-heating waffle maker.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Add in wet ingredients and mix until all clumps are gone.
- Let waffle mixture sit for five minutes to thicken up.
- Spray waffle maker with coconut oil.
- Add in mixture, being careful to not over-fill the waffle maker because then it gets everywhere and nobody wants to scrape waffle off of their waffle maker.
- Once waffle maker goes off, let sit for an additional minute. Carefully remove waffle.
- Top waffle with another sprinkle of sea salt and serve with fruit, chocolate chips, maple syrup, nut butter, yogurt, etc.
Chat with me:
Pancakes or waffles? What are your favorite mix-ins?