Butternut Squash Breakfast Bowl [Gluten Free, Paleo]
Monday morning my friend Emily and I were texting back and forth and she asked if I had ran yet. I hadn’t, so we made plans to meet at our new meeting spot which is kind of halfway between our places and run through Golden Gate Park. It occurred to me near the end of the run that this was in fact the fourth Memorial Day weekend in a row we had spent together in some capacity, three of which involved running together (The very first involved sitting hungover on the curb outside of Pamela’s waiting for it to open. Let’s just say the theme to holidays during summer 2012 was “go hard”).
Anyway, the point of this story is this breakfast bowl is really Emily’s creation. Hers involves bacon and feta cheese but I added the almond butter for some fat and an egg because I love eggs. This is gluten free (obvs) and paleo in case you eat paleo and somehow wound up on my blog. You can obviously multiple this recipe by five to prep breakfasts for the week.
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed and roasted
- 1 chicken sausage link, cooked and sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- ½ cup berries of your choice (I've done blueberries, cherries and blackberries)
- Heat butternut squash and sausage link in a medium skillet.
- While squash and sausage are warming, spray a little coconut oil in the pan and fry your egg.
- Place squash and sausage in a bowl once warm.
- Layer almond butter on top of squash and sausage.
- Once egg is cooked, add to the squash, sausage and almond butter.
- Top bowl with berries and eat!
Emily is also known for her world-famous Copycat Green Trekker Smoothie which I’m sure will make an appearance in the AGIT kitchen once it’s
Chat with me:
Do you ever switch up your breakfast routine? What is the theme to your summer? (Mine is “Summer of Edge Part 2 because I always feel edgy when I cut my hair.)